NO MORE Business School Applications!

blog-stopsign2Woooo-saaaaahhhh (And Happy Holidays)!

So about a year ago, I plunked down $250 and took my first swing at the GMAT. I had made a 650 on a practice test without studying, and felt that I should be able to do about as well without too much trouble, then pump out a few essays to some top MBA programs and call it a day.

HA! What a rookie mistake. What delusions of grandeur! I had no friggin clue of what I was in for. Little did I know that there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth before I would see the light of day.

[evil laughter]

Five-Hundred-Twenty-Five-Thousand-Six-Hundred-Minutes

I walked into that first GMAT sitting and got served; my #$$ was promptly handed to me, wrapped in a bow. Since then, I’ve regrouped, studied for months, went without shaving or bathing, finally did ok on the GMAT, decided a against a retake, slaved over essays, hopped on planes, interviewed and FINALLY was granted admission to Wharton and Chicago–each with scholarships/fellowships and still have a pending interview coming up for MIT Sloan.

And you know what? I’M. GOOD.

No more apps, no more essays. I am officially reclaiming my civilian status and going AWOL from the top b-school admissions game–at least from the applicant perspective.

Truth be told, I applied to the schools that I was most interested in up front in Round 1 (I don’t believe in safety schools, however; I would have been just as proud of potential admits to Tuck and Haas, which would have been my final picks to apply to from the Consortium).  I knew that if I was satisfied with those results that I would not continue to put myself through this.

I also knew that I did not want to be put in the position of having to consider paying a deposit for one school in R1 to hold a spot and then end up possibly paying again for another school in R2 that I liked even more. I don’t have time for that ish.

Lastly, I wanted to maximize the time that I’d have to plan, strategize, and most importantly–SAVE MONEY for what I’ve been told can be quite an expensive transition; so that is exactly what I will be doing.

Countdown to a Decision

So here’s what’s next:

Mid January – Interview with MIT Sloan

January 29 – MIT Sloan Round 1 Final Decisions Released

February 1,2 – Admit Weekend at Wharton in Philadelphia

February 8,9 – Admit Weekend at Booth in Chicago

February 19th – Deposit Due at both Wharton and Booth

The occurrences that take place during the next month and change will determine whether:

A) MIT Sloan will even be an option for me (whether I get in or not)

B) I’ll pass on Wharton and Booth (pending an MIT admit) and attend Sloan

C) I’ll pass on Sloan and attend Wharton or Booth regardless of the Sloan decision

D) I’ll pay a deposit to Wharton or Booth after being dinged by MIT

Each school is top tier and chuck full of entrepreneurial resources and opportunities; thus any scenario is possible. Some of the contributing events will be out of my control; but I’m fine with that–used to it, in fact.

At this point, I’m celebrating what I have been able to accomplish (which is humbling enough in and of itself), enjoying the last few events that will wrap up the admissions portion of my MBA experience and vigorously planning so that I can make the most out of it once I begin school and the REAL work starts.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Wharton 2015 MBA

26 Comments on “NO MORE Business School Applications!”

1. cheetarah1980 Says:

I can make this really easy for you. Just choose Booth. See you at admit weekend, homie! Oh yeah, let me know your travel itinerary.

2. SA Says:

Im with the ISB ( The Indian School of Business ) and I have been following you since you started on this journey. Congrats and all the best !!! – SA

3. bschool2013 Says:

This sounds like a made for TV event. MBAover30 announces which B-school he’ll attend…we’ll call it “The Decision”. I’m sure no one’s done this before…

4. OhDenny Says:

Proud of you, bud. I was waiting for this shoe to drop, and while I’m bummed for me, I’m thrilled for you! You’re right – who needs that ish? And that angst. And that money sink, etc. Good luck with the ultimate choice, but know that you can’t lose.

5. Rohit Says:

Hey congrats man…..can you also share your work experience details….

Thanks Rohit. Let’s see…12 years in industry….4 companies….1 year programming for an ISP…2 years with a small business in online marketing, web dev and content dev…8.5 years fortune 50 (4 rotations…sales, operations, engineering, back to says)…..1.5 yrs in marketing ops for the software division of an internet company….2 entrepreneurial ventures (both small, 1 with solid results #’s)

• jacqulin Says:

Wow! This is a stellar profile. You have plenty of stories and achievements to present my friend.

I wonder what else Harvard and Stanford really need more from their applicants? If this profile is not enough, I guess the perception that they accept relatively younger applicants is really true. They are really elitist.

Thanks Jacqulin; though in all fairness I must say that HBS and Stanford receive thousands of profiles like mine and better. There is nothing special about it among the top 5-7 or so schools, and each admissions committee must make a lot of hard decisions. My personal opinion is that HBS is definitely age averse; yet I do know that they have accepted candidates my age and older here and there. I also know for a fact that Stanford is not age averse. At the same time, there are so many other factors (super high GMATs, super high GPAs, international work assignments, ivy league undergrads, rich parents) that go into choosing classes at these institutions. I highly doubt that my age was the deciding factor for either ding.

6. Rohit Says:

that is a hell lot of exp man….clearly you deserved what you got..congrats once again!!

Thanks Rohit. It can actually be seen as too much experience. I had to play it just right with my goals trajectory and showing/explaining how my “long and winding story” (as Sandy K put it) tied to together.

7. Jim Says:

I am pretty sure you will get an admit after your interview at MIT. You should consider if you even want to go for an interview if wharton or booth is higher than MIT on your list. At least it will open up a place for a waitlist candidate at MIT

I don’t think we can assume that MIT will admit me. Thus far, 2 schools have admitted me and two others have denied with without an interview; hardly a shoe-in scenario. Sloan is a fantastic school that I would definitely attend. I was honored to be invited to interview and wouldn’t dare snub them after receiving such an honor. I felt the same about each of the other 4 schools that I applied to. I don’t believe in safety schools. Each school that I sent an app to is an institution that I would jump at the chance to attend.

8. Gaurav Says:

Received a ‘NO’ from MIT!
    whats ur personal email Id? need some advice from you.

9. theexecutionist Says:

Hi mbaover30,

I got routed here from STR1DER’S “UNCLEARADMIT”.

Both blogs (Unclearadmit & MbaOver30) have acquired the status- LEGENDARY!

Your writing reflects such an amazing perspicuity in your thought & cogency in expression, that merely reading it is mentally stimulating.

Decided to ‘subscribe’ (as if i do not already subscribe to the what is conveyed in these insightful posts!)

Best Regards,

10. theexecutionist Says:

** to what is conveyed

Go crack that Sloan interview too. But before that, you truly desrve this break from the B-school application madness

& whilst you had a great 2012, wishing you an even more successful 2013 !!

11. Mo Says:

Hi, congrats. I’m an over 30 too looking to apply for the class of 2017. I would like to know what you scored on the GMAT. I’m looking at Wharton, MIT and Rotman.